Jigsaw Piece 3

THE MALDON MINT

This is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Survey:-
Documentary Evidence

..................And the burgesses of Colchester and Maldon pay 20 for their mints and this was decided by Waleram and they call on the Kinq to vouch for them that he has condoned to them 10: and Walchelin the Bishop, who now is in possession, claims of them 40......................

Coin Evidence

Maldon Mint coins

The earliest known Maldon coin was minted in the reign of Athelstan (A.D. 924-939) and the latest in the reign of William Rufus shortly after 1066. The coins are of silver and are known as pennies. None of the known specimens have been found in Maldon and many have been found in Scandinavia. Although there is no direct burh evidence it is probable that the mint was inside the protection of the fort earthwork.


Jigsaw Piece 4

THE DOMESDAY SURVEY 1086

Documentary Evidence

Again no direct burh evidence is recorded but the number of Maldon entries and the 'Borough' ascription are significant, emphasising the town's importance at this early time.


Jigsaw Piece 5

NATHANIEL SALMON

Documentary Evidence

THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF ESSEX (1740)

................There are the remains of a camp on the west side of town, through the middle of which the road to Chelmsford goes; three sides of the fortification are visible. The ground within the vallum seems to be of about twenty-two acres. Just without it, on the north side, is a fine spring, which improved the situation. We see sides of a square or oblong, the rest being built upon and defaced. This has a fair pretence to be Roman; but as Edward the elder encamped here, it is not certain whether he fortified it or found it ready done to his hands.......................

Comment

Salmon provides an interesting first hand account of the earthwork but his suggested area of twenty-two acres is hard to understand and conflicts with Strutt's later measurements. There does appear to be some correlation of All Saints Parish boundary to the burh and twenty-two acres would suit the Parish area better than the earthworks described by Strutt. The most significant words are 'on the west side of town, through the middle of which the road to Chelmsford goes'. He was referring to London Road which until earlier this century would have been the traveller's quickest route to Chelmsford.

Previous Page
Home
Next Page